Cullen International’s latest regulatory update covering six Middle Eastern and North African countries sheds light on the major developments between January and April 2022.
Some of the highlights include:
- The Algerian regulator ordered mobile operators to comply with coverage and quality of service obligations. Egypt granted Orange spectrum in the 2.6 GHz band, while the Saudi regulator consulted on upcoming spectrum auctions.
- Oman set out operator requirements to respond to network outages, including reporting, notifying customers and the timeframe to restore services.
- Algeria wants the charges for mobile number portability to be reasonable and affordable. Turkey increased retail tariff caps for mobile services.
- Morocco increased the level of price caps for mobile termination rates, while Saudi Arabia cut the SMS termination rate by a third. The Turkish regulator approved higher fees for wholesale broadband access in response to inflation.
- Algeria updated general authorisation requirements. Saudi Arabia consulted on an updated IoT regulation while Zain sold an 80% share in its mobile towers network. The Turkish government acquired a majority stake in Turk Telecom.
20 May 22
Latest consumer protection research on contract regulation in Europe
Cullen International updated its benchmark on the regulation of contracts between end users and providers of electronic communications services in Europe. The benchmark provides details of the rules applying during and after the commitment period of fixed-term contracts.
19 May 22
Latest global trends in next generation satellites
This new Global Trends benchmark provides an overview of what national governments and industry groups are doing in the field of next generation satellites.
18 May 22
From North to South America, the media sector is facing new regulatory agendas and policy outlooks in competition enforcement
Cullen International’s latest Americas Media Profiles provide a summary of eight major media markets in the Americas, along with an overview of their regulatory and policy environment.