On 12 December (14:30 - 18:30), together with the Research Centre in Information, Law and Society (CRIDS), Cullen International will organise a seminar on wholesale-only operators.This event has passed
The development of very high capacity networks has been accompanied by a flurry of different business models throughout the EU: from vertically integrated local initiatives, co-investment projects, traditional vertically integrated networks run by incumbent or cable operators to wholesale-only networks.
The different patterns observed across member states reflect differences in the typology of the legacy networks, housing habits (houses vs. apartments), density of population, market developments, and competitive pressure...
Following our BITS seminar on co-investment in 2017, we will explore another business model: wholesale-only networks.
The purpose of this BITS Seminar will be:
- to take stock of the recent trends in financial markets with respect to investments in the telecom sector;
- to better understand the profiles of investors in wholesale-only networks vs. investors in vertically integrated operators;
- to discuss the relevant provisions of the EECC on wholesale-only undertakings (art 77);
- to debate the appropriate level of investment for wholesale-only networks: passive vs. active infrastructures;
- to speculate on the relative role to be played by wholesale-only in the rolling out of very high capacity networks; and
- to assess the impact of wholesale-only networks on competition.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Bengt Mölleryd - Senior Analyst, PTS - Presentation
- Christof Sommerberg - Head of Public Affairs, Deutsche Glasfaser Holding GmbH - Presentation
- Erzsébet Fitori - Director General, FTTH Council Europe
- Luigi Gambardella - Head of European Affairs, Open Fiber Italy - Presentation
- Jana Hays - Regulatory Affairs Manager, CETIN - Presentation
- Stephen O'Connor - Director Public Affairs, SIRO - Presentation
- Johannes Gungl - BEREC Chair / CEO RTR
- Tony Shortall - Director, Telage - Presentation
- Phillip Malloch - ETNO Chair
- 14:30 Welcome and coffee
- 15:00 Telecommunications operators of the future
- 15:30 Wholesale-only projects
- 16:30 Coffee break
- 17:00 Policy panel: regulatory roadblocks for wholesale-only networks?
- 18:30 Cocktail reception
Rue d'Egmont 11
- Free for staff of the EU Institutions and National Permanent Representations to the EU.
- If 3 or more participants from the same organisations: € 100
- Ph.D. students and former DTIC-students of University of Namur: € 100
For more information about this event, please contact: